In this technological age we have access to a range of information on how to improve our websites.
You’ve probably read about how to create a brilliant website content strategy, build brand awareness, shift from soft leads to hard leads and gain a large number of followers.
The problem arises when you apply the tactics and techniques, but find you aren’t gaining traction. The solution is simple:
Stop using content as a sales tool
Write about what you know and love. Focus on what interests you and what you’re passionate about.
Forget about writing to drive traffic, increase followers, build connections and inflate likes, readers recognise when an article is written with this one sided purpose in mind.
Yes, strategy is important, but we are inundated with information, so make what you write count.
Make a true connection.
Your passion is engaging and this is a powerful advantage, especially for small and medium businesses. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t an ‘expert’ or what the nature of your business is.
A local café owner came to me for help, she needed to find her business voice, her business personality.
Yes, she wanted to draw more people to the café but there was only so much she could say or wanted to say about coffee. It wasn’t her focus. When we looked at her life holistically, she had a wealth of fascinating knowledge and passions.
We weren’t just looking outside the box for her voice, she was already living outside it. Here is just a glimpse:
- Rescued Horses – she loved, cared and nurtured 27 of them back to health. It was only space and resources that drew the line at 27 at any given time.
- Wwoofers – contrary to my initial assumption, these are not dogs that bark a lot. Wwoofers are volunteers who work on organic farms for food and accommodation, and she needed them to help look after the…
- 180 strong menagerie – ponies, donkeys, cats, dogs, alpacas, rabbits, chickens, ducks, a sheep and a cow
- Psychiatrist – her dream was to combine her background as a psychiatrist with animal-assisted therapy
- Organic – she wouldn’t eat anything else, so she wouldn’t serve it to customers either
Wouldn’t you be interested in going to this café, where you could meet people with similar passions and interests that you have? Then, while you are there, have an organic coffee and a homemade piece of cake? Would you spread the word?
Now that’s a conversation, not a strategy, tactic or sales tool, and you might just find writing is a lot more interesting.
Find your remarkable and enthralling voice
You can fix your website content strategy – write about what matters. Being emotionally connected with it with enable you to organically engage with your readers and potential customers.
If you are struggling to find your business voice and personality, or need help creating a content strategy that works for you, please contact me and I can help.
Wishing you all the best.
Rebecca Collett, Founder of Snowed Under SolutionsIf you like it, please share it